Friday 9 January 2015

09.01.15 - Preliminary Work (Taking Photos)

THE PHOTO SHOOT

After we drew our mock ups of different magazine layouts we then proceeded to the studio where we attempted to take our photos for the preliminary cover. To take our photos we used a Fuji FinePix S1500, which I found to be dissatisfactory as the colours captured by the camera always appeared to be washed out. The set up consisted of a white screen that was illuminated by three photography lights equally positioned around it. These lights were then carefully adjusted to be level with the model so his face was evenly lit. We attached the camera to a tripod to ensure it was steady so it took photos without any blur, we then levelled the camera so it was also the same height as the model. 

The First Photo

As you can see, the first attempt to take an appropriate photo for my magazine was unsuccessful. The lighting was dull in the corners and unevenly lit the model's face, who wasn't even making eye contact with the camera. The contrast was too low, making the picture look dark.. I also forgot that I needed a portrait photo for my cover, not a landscape one. 


Other Attempts 

After the first photo, I apprately adjusted the lighting appropriately and turned the camera sideways so I could take a portrait photo. I also adjusted the contrast so that the image would not appear too dark as it did in the last one. In the first two photos however, the model was framed baldy and the framing of him just didn't look right.  From then on the photo's progressively improved, but none of them were satisfactory.

 



In the two photos second from last the model's body was unevenly framed which could only be resolved by cropping them, so I decided to reposition my camera which resulted in the last photo. However in the last photo the model isn't making eye contact with the camera and the positioning of his arm wasn't appropriate for the Z1 format I'd decided to go with for my cover.


The Perfect Photo

Finally, after several attempts, I zoomed in just the right amount on the model's face so he was aptly positioned in the photo. There was slight asymmetry as the left side of his body took up more of the photo than his right side did. However this was something that could be easily fixed by cropping the image later. Apart from this the photo was sufficiently symmetrical, the model was making eye contact and his face took up just the right amount of space within the image. I decided that this would be the photo that I'd use for my cover. 


No comments:

Post a Comment